Man Dies Instantly After Lighting FireWorks on His Head to Celebrate the 4th of July

There’s just something about fireworks.

We love making the sky light up, pretending we have the power of the stars, hooting and hollering through the next big holiday as the sky explodes above us.

Only sometimes we do really stupid things with them instead.

And that’s exactly what 22-year-old Devon Staples did. According to ABC News, Staples and his friends were drinking and lighting off fireworks to celebrate July 4th when Staples “placed a reloadable fireworks mortar tube on his head and told his friends he was going to light it.”

Initially, his friends thought they had dissuaded him. But seconds later, Staples lit the mortar tube. He was killed instantly.