Today’s Notable Young Entrepreneur is Zach Slootsky, owner, server, and manager at Toronto’s The Federal, which was recently included on Monocle’s list of 50 best restaurants in the world. We caught up with Zach to find out what inspired his work and where he sees himself in 5, 10, and 20 years…
1. Describe what you do in less than 140 characters. Go.
I’m an owner, server, and manager at The Federal on Dundas (Toronto). I also water the plants occasionally.
2. What was the inspiration for your career route?
I never thought I would own a restaurant. I worked in restaurants to put myself through university. I worked in restaurants on the side when I was taking photos for a living. I got good at it, and you have to “be careful what you get good at.”
3. What is the most memorable milestone in your career so far?
Making Monocle’s list of the 50 best restaurants in the world is probably where we peaked.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?
I want to be able to come into one of my restaurants and have the staff not even recognize me.
5. Do you have any advice for other young professionals?
Starting a business is easier and harder than you can imagine. The stuff you worried about is easy, and stuff you hadn’t even considered is hard – so stop worrying and just do it. Also, trust your gut a few times until you figure out if your gut is an idiot.
6. Do you support any charities? If so, which one(s) and why is it (or they) important to you?
We donate some gift certificates to local schools for their fundraising efforts. We also employ six musicians.
7. What does the word notable mean to you?
Something worth sharing with friends.
1. Where is your favourite place to wine/ dine in your city and why?
Bar Raval is hard to beat, but you’re more likely to find me at Ronnie’s or Cafe Polonez.
2. What’s the most visited website on your Internet browser?
Do people still visit websites? My most used app is Slack, for sure, and I think they are a website too.
3. Who’s one person you think everyone should be following on social media?
Our server Kate. Her Instagram is literally killing it right now. (@katekolberg)
4. What’s your favourite cocktail?
Might be a caipirinhia, but ask me again in the middle of winter…
5. What gives you the greatest FOMO?
Being inside all day.
6. What would be your last meal? And don’t hold back…
7. What’s your guiltiest pleasure?
See above re: hamburger and staying inside all day.