Tania Triassi has been working in the beauty industry for over eight years, specializing in colour and cuts for both men and women. She has trained with big names like L’Oreal professional, Pureology and Kms, as well as travelling to the Redken academy to attend classes and get some inspiration from one of her favourite hair educators, Sam Villa, to keep up on all the new trends and techniques. As a manager of the chic Industria Salon in Carrefour Laval, she constantly sees clients walking in with the winter hair blues, including dull looking hair, flatness, dryness…you name it, she hears it. As a strong believer in hair products and treatments, she will share some of her notable secrets that can help young professionals survive our cold winter and turn that frumpy hair upside down!
1. It is very important to know that our lifestyle has a big impact on our hair. For starters, a balanced diet is they key to healthy hair and gorgeous hair. Although all vitamins are essential to maintain healthy hair, it is important to pick foods that are rich in vitamin B, such as vitamin b3, (fish, chicken, red meat), b5 (egg yolks, broccoli, beef, oats), b6 (yeast, liver, bananas, nuts, spinach), b12 (shellfish, clams oysters, caviar), omega 3, fatty acid (okra, flaxseed oil, seeds pineapple juice and folic acid (asparagus, avocado, citrus fruit). Those vitamins will help in your hair growth and some of them will also help prevent hair loss and graying of the hair. Let’s not forget water, our natural source to hydrate the hair!
2. For those who think that cutting your hair often will help your hair grow, the answer is no. It won’t make it grow faster, but it will help you to maintain healthy looking hair and prevent further damage and split ends. So please try to avoid long visits to the salon. For short hair, a trim every 4 to 6 weeks is sufficient, and for mid-length to long hair, every 6 to 8 weeks.
3. Here is another myth: washing your hair every day isn’t good. Our scalp produces natural oils which help nourish it and washing it every day will give you dry looking hair!
4. One of the top must-have products is Complexe 5 from Rene Furturer. To obtain beautiful healthy hair you need to treat the scalp. Complexe 5 strengthens hair from the root while deeply cleansing the scalp, which also stimulates microcirculation and invigorates the scalp to enhance the growth of healthy hair. It also helps for people who suffer from dandruff and you can use it from the comfort of your own shower!
5. A dry shampoo is a busy girl’s miracle product – not only will it help you go an extra day without washing, but it also gives you volume and makes your hair smell nice. A great one is the Redken Powder refresh; just spray and go!
6. Did you know sleeping on a satin pillowcase keeps your hair stay frizz-free and smooth? Trade in that boring cotton cover and upgrade – your hair will thank you!
7. Another important tip: after using a conditioning treatment, rinse hair with cool water to lock in the moisture and seal the cuticle; it is very important not to over brush the hair while it is still wet, it can cause breakage and split ends. Try finger combing and using a leave-in conditioner, it will help hair be more manageable.
8. If being budget-friendly is your goal, there are homemade recipes you can make to keep that dullness from coming back. Here is an easy and effective one: 1 avocado, 1 tbsp of olive oil or coconut oil, 1 tbsp of honey… mix that all into your hair. Throw on that shower cap, let it sit there for about 20-30 minutes, then proceed to shampoo and condition as usual. You will see a major difference!
9. A lot of customers complain about dry ends and oily roots in the winter and ask what shampoo and conditioner can fix this; one of Tania’s recommendations is the Cristalliste line by Kerastase. The liquid light complex rebalances the hair fiber’s smooth, free flowing with incredible shine.
10. And finally, the steam pod… a new salon treatment Tania offers in her salon. We had it done and it’s amazing. It’s only $10 more than a regular blow-dry and includes a treatment and a blowout. This professional straightening and smoothing service system will keep hair sleek, glossy looking and stays in your hair for about three shampoos. It’s great for people who suffer from frizzy, curly or unmanageable hair.
Tania says that by having healthy hair, you will always feel beautiful, and she never lets a client walk out of her chair without examining the health of their hair, asking them about their routine, and giving them the most important tips for their type of hair. For more information or questions, you can call her at Industria Salon at 450-686-8094.