Today’s Notable Young Entrepreneur is Thomas Vernis, who’s one of the masterminds behind Montreal-based hospitality group Tomahawk. We caught up with him to find out what inspired his career and where he sees himself in five years…
1. Describe what you do in less than 140 characters. Go.
I run a creative hospitality group called Tomahawk based out of Montreal. We have a bar (Santos), a restaurant (Dolcetto), a coffeeshop (Tommy), a graphic design agency (NoirFluo), and we promote special events and parties.
2. What was the inspiration for your career route?
The motto was always to sell pleasure. Wake up every day and give the people something to make them smile and enjoy life.
3. What is the most memorable milestone in your career so far?
To employ almost 100 people without any partners and still love it.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?
Either expanding the number of businesses, franchises in other cities, a hotel, a beachclub, or a clothing line. Or retired on a beach… time will tell.
5. Do you have any advice for other young professionals?
Stick to what you love. Find a passion and do it; only great things come out of genuine interest. Don’t about other people’s opinion because no matter the size of your achievements, someone will criticize and someone will congratulate. So just DO YOU.
6. Do you support any charities? If so, which one(s) and why is it (or they) important to you?
Every year each restaurant participates in different fundraisers for various charities. We are truly blessed and realise it, so it’s always a blessing to be able to give back.
7. What does the word notable mean to you?
To stand out of the mass. To do your own thing, at your own pace, on your own terms.
1. Where is your favourite place to wine/ dine in your city and why?
Entrecote St Jean on Peel, open for 24 years with only one dish on the menu. It’s packed every day for lunch and dinner. One recipe, one price, one love!
2. What’s the most visited website on your Internet browser?
Google. I’m pretty curious in general, so I love getting my answers right away.
3. Who’s one person you think everyone should be following on social media?
@thefatjewish. He’s the instagram leader of funny. Laughter over everything.
4. What’s your favourite cocktail?
ZuBrowka (bison grass vodka) with apple juice and ginger ale. I don’t think there is a name for it, so let’s call it a Tomahawk from now on.
5. What gives you the greatest FOMO?
Pictures of a beach when I’m stuck in a city.
6. What would be your last meal? And don’t hold back…
Beef tacos, guacamole, hot sauce and a glass bottle of Coca-Cola. Boom!
7. What’s your guiltiest pleasure?
Candies. 24-7. The more, the better.