Get on your dancing shoes and don’t miss this week’s live performances…
1. Vampire Weekend’s bassist, Chris Baio, will be spinning records at Wrongbar this weekend. He’s just released a solo EP under his DJ name, Baio, and will be pumping out tuneage for hipsters to dance along to Saturday night.
2. Every Tuesday night, Horseshoe Tavern hosts the Edge 102.1’s Dave Bookman presents Nu Music Nite, which typically showcases about four local bands. The best part? No cover! This week’s edition features Daybreak Gentlemen, Goodnight Sunrise, Patti Cake and Mammoth Grave. Did we mention the event is free?
3. This Friday night, The Garrison will host Electric Eclectics, a showcase of, you guessed it, electro groups. In attendance will be AIDS WOLF, the Montreal noise-punk trio who say this will be their last performance. They will be joined by Gordon Monahan and others. Electric Eclectic holds a festival in August in Meaford, and will announce the lineup that night at The Garrison.
4. Wordburglar, a punchy rapper, is performing at his CD release party at El Mocambo on May 11. It’s been two years since his last record, and fans have waited with bated breath for 3rdburglar, the rapper’s third full-length. Bass and beats guaranteed.
5. On Tuesday night, the Drake Hotel will host a violinist, thereminist and singer…who happens to be one and the same person. The multi-instrumental singer, Clara Venice (pictured), will be playing her pop-rock tunes accompanied by Ken Ogawa’s visual projections in this one-of-a-kind performance.