Weekend mornings were made for waffle making. These Banana + Chocolate Chip Spelt Flour Waffles were especially easy to make and even easier to eat. Full of flavour and healthy ingredients hidden in this simply, fuss-free recipe.
These waffles are packed with antioxidants, and vitamins from the awesome toppings I chose like the buckwheat groats, and delicious homemade peanut butter. They take no time to make, you’ll just need 3 bowls, and 1 waffle maker! The ingredients are also super accessible, and depending on what you choose to top them with can really amp up the game!
I get it, things like Vegan Chocolate Covered Quinoa Puffs aren’t exactly going to be the easiest to get your hands on but they certainly add to the pretty brilliant flavours in the waffles.
I suggest to top these waffles with banana, for sure, fruits like berries, and nuts and seeds! The coconut yogurt is also something I would very much suggest since it made this breakfast feel like I was having a dessert. Another highlight of these sweet bad boys is that they taste just as good cold. We know what we will be making this long weekend.
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 25 mins
TOTAL TIME: 40 mins
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups of spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp vegan chocolate chips
- 2 chia eggs (2 tbsp chia seeds, 6 tbsp warm water)
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 tsp coconut nectar
- 1¼ cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Into a small bowl combine the chia seeds, and warm water for your chia eggs- set aside for around 10 minutes or so.
- Grab two medium sized bowls.
- Into one bowl add all the dry ingredients, stir gently until your mixture is well combined.
- Once your chia eggs are ready add them to a bowl with the mashed banana, and stir well. Now add the rest of your wet ingredients, and stir till you reach a good consistency, but do not over do it!
- Add your wet ingredients bowl to your dry ingredients bowl and stir just till combined.
- Set your waffle mixture into the fridge for 5 minutes, or while your waffle maker heats up.
- Once your waffle maker is ready and super hot spray it with just a bit of coconut oil spray (do this every time), and dollop the mixture into the mould, should take around 6 or so minutes to cook, but this depends on your waffle maker. So just keep an eye on them! You want your waffles to be super brown and awesome on the outside but still lovely and moist on the inside. Yes, I just used the word moist.
- NOTE: Depending on the size of your mould will depend on how much of the mixture you add to it! This mixture made me 6 big waffles!
- I topped my waffles with yummy fruits, coconut yogurt, peanut butter, and coconut nectar! Play with your favorite combos, mine was definitely the peanut butter, banana, passion fruit one!