Today’s Notable Young Entrepreneur is Jessica Roy, CEO and Founder of Montreal-based production company Black Mohawk. We caught up with her to find out what inspired her career and where she sees the company in five years…
1. Describe what you do in less than 140 characters. Go.
We are a Montreal-based production company that knows how to stimulate the masses. We cater to both private and public events. Our experience, professionalism, and flair mean extraordinary events and guaranteed success.
2. What was the inspiration for your career route?
Ever since I was a young girl, I always dreamed of creating a world filled with fantasy, mystical characters and creative bliss. Black Mohawk is that dream come true and so much more. I owe the seed of creation for what I do in Black Mohawk to the inheritance of a lifetime’s worth of creativity from my grandmother, Marjorie Brock. She was an amazing, talented and artistic woman in her own right, and without her I would not be where I am today.
Black Mohawk was established a couple of years ago when I was specializing in body painting for various events. I then started designing and creating my own costumes for these events, and from there life escalated our vision to an unimaginable altitude.
3. What is the most memorable milestone in your career so far?
Live Nation and 21st Century Fox are definitely up there. Providing entertainment to the cast and crew of the movie X-Men – are you kidding me!? What a night that was. As far as Live Nation is concerned, there isn’t much more to say except that it was such a huge honour bestowed on us.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?
EXPANSION, EXPANSION, and MORE EXPANSION. We want growth and we want it fast! The world is our oyster and we foresee expansion across Canada, the United States, and around the world. We feel that we have the team, knowledge and vision to accomplish this.
5. Do you have any advice for other young professionals?
Hard work and dedication. People might roll their eyes at this one, but “never give up for what you believe in” stands out. I know we hear it daily, but I live it daily. I remind myself all the time that a huge reason for the success of our company is NEVER giving up, NEVER accepting no, and NEVER listening to those who said the word “impossible.”
6. Do you support any charities? If so, which one(s) and why is it (or they) important to you?
We do. We are active within the charity circuit and we strongly believe in kids. After all, they are the future. We believe that by providing them with support, events and guidance we can shape the next generation of potential “Notable Award” winners.
7. What does the word notable mean to you?
Recognized. Elite. Distinct. Highly Respected.
1. Where is your favourite place to wine/ dine in your city and why?
BARROCO on St-Paul downtown. Great food, excellent service, and you can’t find a more welcoming staff.
2. What’s the most visited website on your Internet browser?
3. Who’s one person you think everyone should be following on social media?
Black Mohawk. (C’mon, you knew that was coming!)
4. What’s your favourite cocktail?
Strawberry daiquiri when it’s 40 degrees outside. UNBEATABLE.
5. What gives you the greatest FOMO?
The amount of time I spend working. I always want to be “there” with “them” enjoying “that.”
6. What would be your last meal? And don’t hold back…
Seafood, baby! Lobster, snow crab legs, oysters, shrimps.
7. What’s your guiltiest pleasure?
Three words… CHO-CO-LATE.