Let’s face it: starting your own business can be downright terrifying.
Leaving the comfort of your 9-5 for the unpredictable world of entrepreneurship is a huge step, but it can also be the most rewarding.
Being your own boss, having the flexibility to pursue your dreams – it’s a feeling that can’t really be beat, but sometimes, you need a little push.
Lucky for you, we know a little something about what it takes to be a successful young professional. Throughout the years, we’ve featured hundreds of people in various fields who have all happily shared their most helpful pieces of career advice.
Here are a few of our favourites.
1. “Get out of your comfort zone and explore your potential.” – Kimmy Xiao
2. “Success for us means continued growth and an ongoing sense of fulfillment in everything we do.” – rock-it promotions
3. “Kindness is never wasted. Neither is time spent working to understand the perspectives and motivations of the people around you.” – Gabrielle Gallant
4. “Success is about being able to shut out all the noise in life and honestly listen to yourself.” – Ben Barry
5. “Never hesitate to help someone else out. It’s humbling how helpful we’ve found people, even people we barely know, especially in tough times.” – Torey Celenskis and Trevor Loos
6. “You can do everything on your bucket list, but you can’t do it all at once. Prioritize and focus on one career path or business opportunity at a time.” – Eric Janssen
7. “To me, success is happiness, making the most of your time, doing the things you love, and surrounding yourself with the people you enjoy.” – Jeff Blay
8. “You have an idea, a dream? Go for it, don’t settle and don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t – opportunity is everywhere.” – Chrissy Sgourakis
9. “Be authentic, be you, and be the energy you want to attract.” – Julia Hame
10. “Know that there is always going to be sacrifice. My best advice for young professionals is to remember to enjoy the ride.” – Gidon Gabbay
11. “Success is when you start physically living those dreams that give you giddy goosebumps. And with that comes finding your happy place.” – Kat Stefankiewicz
12. “Challenge norms, push boundaries, don’t fear mistakes and always be open to learning.” – JJ Wilson
13. “Stay focused and work hard – nothing in life is for free.” – Krystle Ng-A-Mann
14. “Make sure you have a mentor in your industry; someone who is objective and can offer honest feedback. Don’t rely on family and friends for this.” – Mark Gatto
15. “Success to me is when your hard work has come to fruition and you’ve put your heart and soul into something to obtain your goal.” – Stephanie Seminuk
16. “Don’t be afraid to take chances early on. The more established you become within a particular field, the harder it’ll be to break free.” – Ash Molaei
17. “[An] outlook of saying ‘yes’ to pretty much anything has single-handedly allowed me to propel my career forward.” – Bianca Lopes
18. “Focus your time on building meaningful relationships. You can be the smartest person in the room, but if nobody wants to work with you, that doesn’t matter.” – Mogo
19. “Don’t forget to take care of yourself. You need a little time off. It’s important to work hard for what you want, but you have to refill your basket.” – Tanya Dawe
20. “Be okay with failing. The traditional route isn’t for most of us. Learn from that failure and carve your own path.” – Christian Dare