Today’s Notable Young Entrepreneur is Toronto-based fashion designer Hussein Dhalla, who’ll be showcasing his latest collection August 20th (10 p.m.) at Toronto Men’s Fashion Week. Did we mention we want you to be among the first to see it? Simply enter your info in the form below for a chance to win a pair of tickets to the runway – we’ll be in touch soon if you won.
1. Describe what you do in less than 140 characters. Go.
I am fortunate to be able to say that I do what I love! I travel the world and meet new people all while designing clothing for my label, DALLA.
2. What was the inspiration for your career route?
I’ve always had an eye for fashion but it was my ex-partner that pushed me to create my own fashion line.
3. What is the most memorable milestone in your career so far?
I’ve had the opportunity to style A-list celebrities and compete in runway fashion shows like Toronto Men’s Fashion Week. However, recently my label went through major changes. My label used be called HD Homme but circumstances occurred that caused me to reinvent the entire line and start fresh with a new team and a new collection. This year, I’ve introduced my line, DALLA, to the world – and it’s the biggest milestone in my career thus far.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?
In five years I see myself establishing DALLA on a global scale. In 10 years, I see myself finally settling down and hopefully starting a family. In 20 years, I see myself retiring!
5. Do you have any advice for other young professionals?
Always think positive. Don’t be afraid to be different. Learn from your mistakes, and finally, be persistent and work smart – “Success is a marathon, not a sprint.”
6. Do you support any charities? If so, which one(s) and why is it (or they) important to you?
There are so many amazing charities out there, but to be honest, I’m still searching for one that really speaks to me. When I find it, I’d really like to donate my time and energy into it, as well as financially, but it has to connect with me.
7. What does the word notable mean to you?
To me it means being yourself and making a difference.
1. Where is your favourite place to wine/ dine in your city and why?
I’m a huge foodie but that doesn’t mean I enjoy dining at the latest fancy restaurants in the city. I love the unique mom and pop shops, street vendors, and hole-in-the-walls. That’s where the food tastes the best and it doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg.
2. What’s the most visited website on your Internet browser?
My own website, HouseofDALLA.com.
3. Who’s one person you think everyone should be following on social media?
4. What’s your favourite cocktail?
Nothing beats a red sangria done right! It has to have the perfect blend of good Spanish wine, a splash of brandy, pomegranate juice, and of course lots of fresh fruit in it.
5. What gives you the greatest FOMO?
My lifestyle requires me to travel a lot. I never know where the next day is going to take me. That being said, it’s difficult for me to find a home to lay my hat. I eventually want to find the right person and settle down, but that isn’t something that is likely to happen in the near future.
6. What would be your last meal? And don’t hold back…
Anything my mom cooks. Nothing can beat mom’s cooking. Nothing.
7. What’s your guiltiest pleasure?
I have a huge sweet tooth! No matter how hard I work out or diet, if you put a bag of Sour Keys or any kind of chocolate in front of me, it’s down the hatch.
WIN TWO TICKETS TO DALLA’S AUGUST 20TH SHOW AT TORONTO MEN’S FASHION WEEK: