Today’s Notable Young Entrepreneur is creative freelancer Elliot Muscat, whose work ranges from design to art, video, and photography in helping start-ups brand themselves in a stand-out way…
1. Describe what you do in less than 140 characters. Go.
I build brands for start-ups.
2. What was the inspiration for your career route?
I’m full of creative energy and nothing makes me happier than seeing my ideas come to life.
3. What is the most memorable milestone in your career so far?
I created a viral video to advertise an apparel company that got picked up by Worldstar, Kenny vs. Spenny, and reached over a million views.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?
As an art director living California working on iconic brands. And yes, surfing the waves.
5. Do you have any advice for other young professionals?
Best advice I can give anyone is to ask yourself this simple question: If money wasn’t an issue, what would you do with your time? Whatever that is, just do that and eventually things will work out. If you’re an expert at something, you’ll make a living at it no matter what it is.
6. Do you support any charities? If so, which one(s) and why is it (or they) important to you?
I support SickKids hospital and I have been donating every month for the past 15 years. When I was five I had a rare blood disease and they saved my life, so I like to give back considering I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for them.
7. What is one major challenge that you’ve had to overcome in your career? How did you overcome it?
There are a lot of ups and downs with freelancing as you can imagine, so the most important thing you can do is to stay consistent at networking. If you find yourself short of clients, or even overwhelmed with clients, you should always be working on expanding your network because at some point in your career you will need it most. Talk about what you do with every person you come into contact with because you never know who you might meet.
8. What does the word notable mean to you?
1. Where is your favourite place to wine/dine in your city and why?
Sunset Grill, hands down. I recommend the French Connection; very tasty for a brother.
2. What’s the most visited website on your Internet browser? The most played song on your phone?
Most visited website on my browser would have to be Youtube; I love watching Italian Greyhound videos. Don’t ask why, they just do it for me. Favourite song currently is The Message by Nas, played on my phone maybe 200 times a day.
3. Who’s one person you think everyone should be following on social media?
Definitely follow Dj Khaled. He’s the most ridiculous human being on the planet. I can’t figure out if he’s a complete genius or genuinely a nutcase.
4. What’s your favourite country to visit and why? And what’s the next one you plan on travelling to?
Favourite place to visit is Sicily. It makes me feel like home. Next place I’m travelling to is New York because, well, it’s New York.
5. What gives you the greatest FOMO?
If I miss an art exhibition that I could have entered. It’s tough to keep up with events these days; Toronto has a billion things going on at all times and apparently it’s a nine now.
6. What’s your guiltiest pleasure?
Sweet candy nectars.
7. What’s something you wish you didn’t spend so much money on? What’s something you wish you spent more on?
I’ve spent way too much on chicken wings over the years – I’m addicted. I definitely wish I spent more on travelling because I can never do enough of that.
8. And finally, what does success look like to you? Work, play, or otherwise…
Success is completely defined by my level of happiness. If I can wake up every day and enjoy it from start to finish, then I know I’m successful.