Today’s Notable Young Entrepreneur is real estate pro Derek Nzeribe, who we caught up with to find out what inspired his career route and to why giving back to charities is so important to him…
1. Describe what you do in less than 140 characters. Go.
Customized real estate sales solutions for residential condominium developers.
We are just getting ready to launch ArtHaus condominiums, a boutique residence at the heart of Ottawa’s most desirable neighbourhood situated high above the Ottawa Art Gallery and Le Germain Hotel.
2. What was the inspiration for your career route?
My father. He was an entrepreneur and taught me the value of hard work and the satisfaction that comes from it.
3. What is the most memorable milestone in your career so far?
Taking the lead on my first development project. It was very exciting.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?
Hopefully still doing the same thing. I love what I do. I would eventually love to take on my own real estate development at some point.
5. Do you have any advice for other young professionals?
Do what you love and love what you do. This is what was told to me a long time ago. It is what will get you through the tough times in your career.
6. Do you support any charities? If so, which one(s) and why is it (or they) important to you?
I am supportive of charities that give to the developing world. I am a particular supporter of micro-loan programs. I feel that it really helps entrepreneurs in the developing world that may otherwise not have had a chance
7. What is one major challenge that you’ve had to overcome in your career? How did you overcome it?
Balance. Having to juggle work with family and friends was difficult. I really had to make a conscious effort to make time and be present. You can really get lost in the amount of hours that go into the work. I have it under control now, but it took some time to get used to.
8. What does the word notable mean to you?
Something worth talking about, sharing and following.
1. Where is your favourite place to wine/ dine in your city and why?
Play (in Ottawa). Great wine bar and great food. I always have a good time when I go there
2. What’s the most visited website on your Internet browser? The most played song on your phone?
Expedia.com; anything by Drake.
3. Who’s one person you think everyone should be following on social media?
It’s not a specific person, but I love the Instagram posts from @FourSeasons. They have great hotels when traveling and offer great travel inspiration on their Instagram feed.
4. What’s your favourite country to visit and why? And what’s the next one you plan on travelling to?
USA. Specifically, Florida. It’s not too far from home, but I always have a great time there. I’m going back soon.
5. What gives you the greatest FOMO?
Missing out on seeing a movie I was really looking forward to seeing in theatres.
6. What’s your guiltiest pleasure?
Binge-watching TV shows on long weekends.
7. What’s something you wish you didn’t spend so much money on? What’s something you wish you spent more on?
I spend a lot on Starbucks, but I love it. I can’t think of anything that I wish I spent more money on.
8. And finally, what does succes look like to you? Work, play, or otherwise…
Success to me is happiness and comfort in all parts of my life.
Photo courtesy Julia M Langlois