Last week we shared with you the 15 most in-demand jobs in Canada for 2018. If you’re looking for greener pastures, the ranking offers a great snapshot of what’s hot in the world of work.
All this probably won’t matter, of course, if you’re already applying your talent at one of Canada’s best companies. Which brings us to another insightful list: Canada’s Top Employers for 2018.
For this ranking, Forbes teamed up with Statista to determine which employers have the best reputation among their workers. This was done by conducting a survey across 25 industries that asked 8,000 Canadian at companies with over 500 employees two key questions:
- – Would they recommend their employer to a friend or family member?
- – Would they recommend another employer within their industry?
The survey also included more than 30 detailed questions about working conditions and included a mix of respondents (gender, age, region, educational level, ethnicity) representative of the Canadian workforce.
Our of more than 1,500 companies in Canada with 500 or more employees, 300 companies were praised as being exemplary places to work.
The most desirable industry appears to be education, with four companies in the top 25. The province with the best companies, meanwhile, is Ontario, with 12 of the top 25 places to work:
- 1. Google, Toronto, ON (699 employees)
- 2. Kruger Products, Mississauga, ON (2,166 employees)
- 3. Hydro-Québec, Montreal, QC (19,552 employees)
- 4. SAP, Toronto, ON (3,280 employees)
- 5. Vitalité Health Network, Bathurst, NB (7,400 employees)
- 6. Queen’s University, Kingston, ON (8,593 employees)
- 7. Concordia University, Montreal, QC (6,051 employees)
- 8. Siemens, Oakville, ON (4,800 employees)
- 9. SaskTel, Regina, SK (4,000 employees)
- 10. Ottawa-Carleton District School Board, Ottawa, ON (9,000)
- 11. Manitoba Public Insurance, Winnipeg, MB, (1,700 employees)
- 12. Bank of Canada, Ottawa, ON (1,700 employees)
- 13. Agropur, Saint-Hubert, QC (8,000 employees)
- 14. Ubisoft, Montreal, QC (4,000 employees)
- 15. Nav Canada, Ottawa, ON (4,700 employees)
- 16. ABB, Saint-Laurent, QC (5,000 employees)
- 17. Université de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, QC (7,778 employees)
- 18. Microsoft, Mississauga, ON (2,000 employees)
- 19. City of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON (16,828 employees)
- 20. Pratt & Whitney, Longueuil, QC (6,200 employees)
- 21. City of Calgary, Calgary, AB, (13,670 employees)
- 22. Manitoba Hydro, Winnipeg, MB (6,000 employees)
- 23. Keg Steakhouse & Bar, Richmond, BC (3,750 employees)
- 24. General Dynamics, Ottawa, ON (1,200 employees)
- 25. Johnson & Johnson, Guelph, ON (546 employees)