Canada continues to keep a grip on new coronavirus cases, though the situation South of the Border is worse than ever.
It should come as no surprise, then, that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau suggested yesterday an extension of the partial Canada-U.S. border closure. That means all non-essential travel will remain forbidden until August 21. Thirty-day travel restrictions have been imposed since March and extended three times.
“We recognize that the situation continues to be complex in the United States with regard to COVID-19,” said Trudeau. “Every month we have been able to extend the border closures to all but essential goods services, and those discussions are ongoing with the United States right now as we are a week from the next deadline for closure. We are going to continue to keep Canadians safe and to keep our economy flowing.”
As the success of countries around the world to manage the pandemic varies wildly, Canada is taking a no-risk approach. The success of our policy speaks for itself. On June 30th, the government announced it will extend mandatory quarantine for all travellers entering Canada. The extension will last until at least August 31st.
With travel to the U.S. all but ruled out this summer, many Canadians are making an effort to discover the beauty within our borders. Most campsites are fully booked for the remaining season and cottages are buzzing from coast to coast. Last month, the federal government said it will pledge $70 million to boost Canada’s tourism industry over the next year and a half.