Today’s Notable Young Professional is music rights lawyer Adrian Battiston, who’s working at the fastest-growing company in the industry and manages bands from around the world. We caught up with him to find out what inspires his work and where he loves to wine and dine in Toronto…
1. Describe what you do in less than 140 characters. Go.
I serve as Legal Counsel for ole, the world’s fastest growing rights management company, assisting in company acquisitions as well as the creative development and worldwide rights management of our clients in the global music industry.
2. What was the inspiration for your career route?
This one’s simple: music, music, music.
3. What is the most memorable milestone in your career so far?
I have to maintain confidentiality, but it is every time I get to work, personally, with any one of our clients.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?
This one stays personal, but I do see no limits. Also, remaining in the industry that I am so passionate for.
5. Do you have any advice for other young professionals?
You can do it. I truly mean it: You can do it. But realize the importance of “You.” Anything that you set your mind to, you can accomplish. But do not accept anything to be a given. Carry yourself with drive, determination, class, respect and unwavering work ethic, and YOU can do it. Always exude positive energy and the universe will find its way to return it your way.
6. Do you support any charities? If so, which one(s) and why is it (or they) important to you?
Recently, the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and Project Sunshine. My band, THE SCND (@thescnd) played the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s CIBC Run for the Cure for the second time, which is always special.
7. What is one major challenge that you’ve had to overcome in your career? How did you overcome it?
Coming back to Canada after receiving my LLB in England. I was accepted to the Faculty of Law at U of T, received my J.D., and kept striving for more.
8. What does the word notable mean to you?
1. Where is your favourite place to wine/ dine in your city and why?
Terroni. Any of their locations. Italian simplicity done to perfection. Always consistent.
2. What’s the most visited website on your Internet browser? The most played song on your phone?
Google is always step #1. As for the song, that would be “Notion” by the Kings of Leon.
3. Who’s one person you think everyone should be following on social media?
Humans of New York. Truly inspiring.
4. What’s your favourite country to visit and why? And what’s the next one you plan on travelling to?
I would have to say Italy, for its natural beauty, simplicity, and passion. Next on the list looks like it’s going to be Tanzania.
5. What’s your guiltiest pleasure?
6. What’s something you wish you didn’t spend so much money on? What’s something you wish you spent more on?
Well, see my response to the above for the first question. As for the second question, that would be travel. Now, to only find the time…
8. And finally, what does success look like to you? Work, play, or otherwise…
Happiness; with the loved ones in your life and with those you touch throughout the day. Day in, day out.