In other places, people get to take advantage of snow days or working from home whenever the weather dips below -20°C.
If you live in Calgary, though, chances are a freak snowstorm or wild weather hasn’t prevented you from making into the office.
So, with the sudden news of power being out in a good portion of downtown for the rest of the week, you probably haven’t spent too much time thinking about how to spend any mid-week free time.
Luckily, we’ve come up with 16 ways to make sure you don’t waste any of your days away from the office…
1. Sleep in but make sure to set your alarm. There’s nothing more gratifying than hearing your alarm clock go off before 7am and turning it off to enjoy another hour or two.
2.Take time for a leisurely coffee at your favourite neighbourhood haunt and go for a stroll. Need a new java joint? Cafe Rosso in Inglewood is the perfect place to start your day.
3. Enjoy a weekday brunch at Monki. The eggs Benedict here will change your life.
4. Visit the zoo. When’s the last time you saw the penguins?
5. See the latest art exhibit at the Glenbow Museum. The Vanishing Ice and Searching For The Northwest Passage in particular.
6. Check out Wordfest. Do it.
7. Have your mind blown by performances at Fluid Fest.
8. Work on your Halloween costume.
9. Once you have your Halloween costume buy tickets to the Bizarre party at the Royal Canadian Legion.
10. Grab a glass of wine at Vin Room and people watch on 4th street.
11. Not that we’re encouraging you to lay on the couch and watch TV (okay, maybe we are) but if you need to catch up on the new season of Boardwalk Empire, this is a great week to do just that.
12. Play a game of punk rock bingo at the Ship and Anchor later today.
13. Check out Dub at the Pub at the Drum and Monkey tonight. It’s the weirdest party you’ll encounter on a Tuesday.
14. Check out the Mad Decent Twerk Circus party at Hifi on Thursday night. What? It’s not like you have to get up early.
15. Shop the Live Out There Pop Up shop and gear up for the winter months ahead.
16. Venture outside your hood and try a new eatery for dinner. If you’re looking for something slightly fancier then Black Pig Bistro in Bridgeland is the place to go. If you want to discover a new hole in the wall, the Thai restaurant White Elephant off our Barlow Trail will blow your taste buds away.
Cover Image: Cafe Rosso
Want more updates on the most Notable things happening so you know before your colleagues do? Get our exclusive newsletter here and follow us on Twitter for all the latest.